I covered Vail’s top 10 expert ski runs, now lets check out the 10 best intermediate ski runs at Vail for those of you that want an easier or less intense day on the slopes.
10. Sourdough / Whiskey Jack – A nice easy run accessed by the Sourdough lift. It is usually not that crowded and you can get a lot of turns in since the lift ride is pretty short. Cruise near or in the tree line to find soft snow. Try Whiskey Jack too just one run over from the lift.
9. Expresso / Cappuccino – Accessible from the Mountaintop Express lift these 2 side by side runs are a great warm up to start your day, or perfect to get in a few quick runs at the end of the day. It can be busy here in the middle of the day despite the 6-person ski lift. I like to stick near or in the trees to find more snow.
8. Flap Jack – Did you have fun on Whiskey Jack? Well you can extend the good times by continuing on down the mountain straight past the Sourdough lift and onto Flap Jack. A nice wide trail to relax and get some nice long turns in.
7. Northwoods – Take the Northwoods Express lift up, and then take Northwoods down. A nice long groomed run that is a bit more advanced compared to Flap Jack where it finishes off.
6. Dealer’s Choice – This is a great groomed run in Game Creek Bowl that is on the front side of the mountain. From the top of the chair, take a nice easy cruise down Lost Boy, and then hang right onto Dealer’s Choice. The run ends with a steeper section before you arrive at the lift to go back up again.
5. Born Free – A great run to start the day after some fresh snow if you are staying in the Lionshead side of town. It is a long green and blue run that starts at Eagle’s Nest, and finishes at Lionshead base. Also a great way to end the day. You can easily take the shuttle bus to the main village, or simply walk home to your accommodation.
4. Poppyfields West – This run is pretty much right in the middle of China Bowl, and just West of the groomer Chopstix. Carve some ribbons on this wide open face and take in the beautiful views on your way down.
3. In The Wuides / Champagne Glade – If you enjoyed China Bowl, and are looking for a bit more of a challenge head from the Orient Express lift over to Blue Sky Basin. Go up the Skyline lift, then hang a right and aim for the Earl’s Express lift. In The Wuides is very wide open and offers you some wonderful glade skiing. Ski on the other side of the lift if you want more snow and an even greater challenge. A great area to learn to ski in the trees. When you want to head back take Kelly’s Toll Road.
2. Shangri-La – Although a black diamond, this long run through glades is not steep and is a gem for all to experience in the China Bowl.
1. Gorky Park – When you are spending time in China Bowl, head over to Inner Mongolia Bowl and try out Gorky Park. It is wide open, not too steep and a fantastic run for fresh powder. Try it once, and you will definitely go back for more. Adventure further over into Bolshoi Ballroom for some beautiful glades.
So, there you have it my picks for the 10 best intermediate ski runs at Vail Colorado.