Last year I was fortunate to spend 10 days at Vail. What an incredible ski resort, there is so much terrain to cover!
And the variety is vast from glades, to aspens, to long steep runs, to bumps this mountain has everything to keep you satisfied and coming back again and again.
This is my top 10 list of expert ski runs you must hit during your ski vacation at Vail Colorado.
We start with a notable run on the front side of the mountain before we get to several that are in the world famous back bowls of Vail.
10. Highline – early on in the season this run is great because it is steep and mostly powder before it turns into a ridiculous line of mogul skiing.
9. Champagne Glade – This is a great spot for a powder day if your legs are burning and you want something a bit easier going.
8. Shangri-La Glade – The epitome of China Bowl, this run is a nice long cruiser through beautiful glades.
7. Steep and Deep – A steep and challenging run through pretty thick glades that flattens out into easier going glades at the bottom. Easy to get lost but that is fun.
6. Riva Ridge – I love to finish the day on Riva Ridge, or if the snowfall is average I will do this run over and over again in the afternoon. Blasting right over and down Tourist Trap is incredible.
5. Rasputin’s Revenge – Bomb it down Orient Express, and then veer off to Rasputin’s in Siberia Bowl for some steep areas and cliffs too.
4. Ptarmigan Ridge – a great journey on a powder day in Sun Down Bowl, this run has a wide variety of terrain including wide open spots, steep drops, tight aspens, glades and even some cliffs.
3. Forever – Back in the 1980s I used to love this run when there was just Sun Up and Sun Down Bowls. The run starts with wide open glades near the top of the run, and then a nice long fairly steep pitch. Scroll down to see a photo.
2. Jade Glade / Genghis Khan – Racing down this wall anywhere between these 2 runs in China Bowl is so much fun. It is both quite steep and a long pitch so you can really get a bunch of turns in.
1. Bolshoi Ballroom – This is a wonderful cruiser for a powder day. Start at the top of poma lift 22. The run is very wide open at the top, then you hit a nice area of glades, and finally a steep drop that propels you down to the catwalk running back to the Orient Express lift.
Everyone is going to have their own personal favorite set of runs but this is my list of Vail’s top 10 expert ski runs.
You will have an incredible time exploring the mountain, so have fun! Here is a closer look at the steep run Forever.